Monday, September 16, 2013

Positivity

Positivity

“I always like to look on the optimistic side of life,
but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
With the laugh comes the tears . . .”
~ Walt Disney ~

People have always told me to take my rose colored glasses off and look at the world as it really is. Well I think I would rather follow Walt Disney’s example. Choose to be optimistic but understand that life is a complex matter and things happen, including tears.

So, the question is what is what do you do when you lose some of your optimism? For me a simple trip to DLR, watching a beloved Disney Classic movie or reading a book written by one of the people involved in Disney or about Disney helps.

Please if you are offended by religion feel free to skip this post, go on and read other posts I’ve done. I’m not forcing my faith on anyone. I’m just sharing how Disney effects my faith and how that has changed my life.

I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again. I try to live my life by the motto of:
Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Now you may say, “what has that got to do with real “faith/religion”?
Well let me tell you what it means to me. It is:
Faith in GOD
(you choose how to worship I cannot and will not tell you how/who to worship)
Trust in those He puts in your life (family & friends)
And the Pixie Dust of His many blessings (I’ve seen more than a few!)

In the Bible Jesus said we must become like children. Matthew 18:2-4 Was He saying we were to be immature, foolish, impulsive, unsophisticated and uneducated like a child? Heaven forbid! I believe Jesus was saying come to Him with a childLIKE attitude and heart!

Let’s look at a child for a moment. A child is able to believe in something/someone even when all evidence is proving that it is impossible. They can easily believe that Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Mickey Mouse are real! They can also believe their parents love them, things will get better tomorrow and that the towel they tied into knots is a dolly or super hero. Can an adult do that? Not many can.

My point is this. When things are looking the darkest and you need the greatest miracle how can you believe? When you know that there is no money for the bill that is due or for a necessary purchase how can you believe God will provide? Can you believe even when all the evidence is against the miracle happening? This is where a childlike heart comes in. You need to suspend disbelief long enough for God to do His thing! But how do you do that??

Like any muscle the faith and imagination need to be exercised. I find the two are closely tied together for me. Going to Disneyland and riding Pirates of the Caribbean (or any other ride) again I must put aside the knowledge, understanding and adult mindset and choose to believe that each of those pirates and townsfolk are real! I have to “feel” the heat of the fire and believe it so I can fully enjoy the ride. This exercise helps me when I have a need that seems so great it is impossible for God to solve in the “real” world.

Add to the fact that many of the stories told in Disney movies and in the parks teaches redemption and restoration. Watching Brave I see Merida and her mother’s relationship restored. Moral values are taught such as learning to think of others and your responsibilities before your own desires. How can my relationship with God be restored/strengthened? How can I think of my responsibilities to God and those He wants me to focus on before my own selfish desires?

I hope that this post will not offend. I pray that those that need to have their faith lifted and strengthened will be blessed.
May you find:

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

No comments:

Post a Comment