Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Imagineering Workout ~ Update 1 The Yes If . . . method


The Imagineering Workout ~ Update 1
The Yes If . . . Method

“Somehow I can’t believe that there are many heights that can’t be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret can be summarized in for Cs. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage, and Constancy, and the greatest of these is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe in it all the way. Have confidence in your ability to do it right. And work hard to do the best possible job.”~ Walt Disney

In the book, The Imagineering Workout Martin Sklar shared the principle he learned from Harrison (Buzz) Price. It is the Yes if. . . method.

Harrison (Buzz) Price did the economic feasibility and site-location studies for both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. He postulated the “Yes, If . . .” method of looking at projects and reporting to Walt. “Yes, if . . .’ is the language of an enabler,” Buzz wrote in his book, ‘Walt’s Revolution! By the Numbers’. “It pointed to what needed to be done to make the possible plausible. Walt liked this language. ‘No, because’ is the language of a deal killer. ‘Yes, If . . .’ is the approach of a deal maker. Creative people thrive on ‘Yes, if . . .”

So what can I do with ‘Yes, if . . .’ I can use this method when speaking to my teenage daughter. I can use a more positive approach when telling her why she can’t do what she wants . . . yet. Instead of just saying, No to her requests I can let her know there is a yes, if . . . I can also use it on myself. Instead of going to ‘it can’t be done.’ I can look for the Yes, if . . . possibilities.

Yes, if . . . encourages a more positive focus on problem solving. It encourages you to look past the no and see that problems usually do have a solution once you find the ‘Yes, if . . . that makes it work. I can’t make beef shepherd’s pie tonight for dinner because I don’t have beef in the house. Yes, if might get me to see the possibilities of chicken, pork or another meat used instead. (This is just a kitchen example.)

I can see that this Yes, if . . . method can be a major help toward a more positive life style. It will help me when sharing ideas and trying to overcome objections.

How can the Yes, if . . . method help you?

If you wish to follow along and read the book for yourself here is the information:

The Imagineering Workout

By The Disney Imagineers

ISBN 078685554-1

It is available at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment