Sunday, January 16, 2011

What Martian Luther King Jr. means to me

Today is Martian Luther King day.
I’m white so of what importance is this day to me? Well let me tell you how important it is to me.
I was born in 1958 in Burbank, California. The town was all white. Black folks lived in Watts and other places not our city. They could be there and work there but not live there. I remember watching Dr. King on the TV. I remember hearing his I have a Dream speech. I listened to his words and they sunk deep into my soul. His dream became mine as well. I loved how he spoke of standing up for yourself with firmness but without violence. I loved how he talked of all people being united and standing for each other.
When I was a teen in the early 1970’s the first black family moved into town. Their teenage children were the first black students in the Burbank School system. There were a few people who made threats but most stood with them. When the white power youth showed up trying to burn a cross in their yard a group of several hundred high school students, including my husband showed up at to make sure it did not happen. None of them knew the family at that time. This would not have happened without the spark of understanding and acceptance MLK lit in our countries soul.
My husband and I wanted to have a large family with lots of love and laughter. Soon after getting married I found out I had a genetic disorder and cannot have children. For 12 years it was just my husband and I loving each other and our furbabies. Then we decided our dream of having a family had to happen. It took 2 years to fill out all the paperwork and be approved to adopt. The first question we were asked was would we accept a child of a different race. Before MLK changed our countries thinking about race we would never have been asked that question. It was not allowed to adopt outside of your “race” before MLK. Our answer to the question was HUMAN. We wanted a child of the human race. The color of the child’s skin made no difference to us. Then almost another year went by before we got THE call. Would we be willing to talk to a young lady who wished to place her baby with us. Would we consider a biracial child? The birthmother was white and the biological father black. We said YES!!
Now, 16 years later we have a beautiful 16 year old daughter. She is ours, a piece of Mahogany grafted upon our white pine family tree. She belongs in our family tree. She is rooted to it and cannot be removed. She is strengthened by our family bonds and we are enriched by her.
In closing I would like to leave you with this thought about America and why our cultural differences make us so great.

Racial makeup of America – Melting Pot or Stew Pot

For generations America has been called the "Melting Pot" of the world. I say that is a poor analogy. In a Melting Pot all items put in become homogeneous, indistinguishable from each other. We are not, never will be nor should we ever become “homogeneous”.

It is better to call America a "Stew Pot". In a Stew Pot each ingredient retains its unique properties. A piece of beef never becomes a carrot and a piece of potato never becomes pea. They never lose their identity. They do take on the flavors of the ingredients around them and are enriched for being in the pot together.

Just like the ingredients in the Stew Pot the different cultures that have come into America retain their unique flavor. Each people group has kept all or parts of their ancestral language and has passed it on to their children. They bring celebrations and traditions that they share with their children and neighbors sharing the flavor of their culture with those around them.

Each culture that comes into America adds to the strength of our great culture just as each ingredient adds to the flavor of the Stew. Take pride in you ethnic heritage! Pass it on to the next generation and share it with neighbors and friends who are of different heritage! Take pride in being an American once you become a citizen. Teach your children to be proud Americans.

Instead of saying I’m German-American, Asian-American, Hispanic-American or African-American how about saying I’m American of … That way we might get rid of some of the racial decimation that is going on and focus on the problems we all need to solve together.

No comments:

Post a Comment