Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blame it on the MOUSE!!

In August 1978 I asked a long time friend to come for dinner. Allan was to eat dinner at my apartment with my roommate and me. I had not seen Allan for several years so I was very excited to see him! I did not feel it was proper for a young lady to entertain a young man alone. We had not talked for several years and I was looking forward to reconnecting with him. Allan, my friend lived over an hour away from me at the time. Remember this was before the age of cell phones. Yes this was the stone age! About 15 minutes before Allan was to arrive he called me asking if it would it be ok if he brought a friend along! I asked if he was going to be late and he told me he was around the corner from my apartment and his friend, Scott was in the car! What could I say? Do I tell him not to come because he had a friend with him? Do I allow him to bring his friend? I told him his friend was welcome to come to dinner always room for one more!

When Allan and his friend arrived he whispered in my roommate’s ear and she laughed! She then winked at me as said she needed to leave something had come up and ran out the door! Now I was alone with these two guys! One I had not seen in several years and the other I did not know! Dinner was served soon after the two got there. We ate and then sat down to talk and play some games. Soon after we started talking Allan fell asleep. He had a disorder that caused him to fall asleep and then stop breathing. Nothing Scott and I did would wake Allan up so we had to let him sleep. We took one look at each other and knew it was a set up! My friend Allan had written me letters about his friend, Scott. My roommate had also talked to Allan on the phone several times before they came! Scott and I started saying, “Best friends forever, Romantic NEVER!” We knew we would always be friends but were sure there would never be anything romantic between us.

For the next year Scott and I were best of friends. Allan was away at college at the other end of California and had a girlfriend. I helped Scott study for Respiratory Therapy classes and did what I could to keep him sane during that crazy time. I helped him study, I took him to the movies, on picnics and car rides. At the end of the year Scott graduated from his Respiratory Therapy course with an A! I took Scott to Disneyland to celebrate. When you live in Southern California Disneyland is the ONLY place to celebrate!

What a wonderful time we had at Disneyland!! It was the first time we went to the park together. Both of us grew up in Burbank, Ca and had gone to Disneyland often as children but never together. We rode our favorite rides and saw a few shows. We talked and just enjoyed our time together as two good friends. We laughed as we made plans to get our friends together for a picnic or dinner at some future date. Late in the evening we sat down at The French Market CafĂ© for dinner. The Jazz Band came out and started to play. We were sitting near the stage and were enjoying the music. We were not sitting side by side, making goo goo eyes, saying sweet nothings or holding hands. We were sitting across the table from each other. We did nothing that would make anyone, lest of all ourselves think we were in love! The band started singing love songs and dedicating them to us! We laughed and said, “NO WAY!” “Best friends forever, Romantic NEVER!” The band laughed at us and said, “We have the Disney Magic and Pixie Dust so we see the truth. You two are in love! You just don’t know it yet!” One week later we were dating! Six months later we were married! This last January we celebrated our 30th anniversary! So Blame it on the Mouse!!! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment